Friday, June 11, 2004

lucid dreaming, states and stages of spiritual growth

The following is a post I've submitted to the Lucidity Institute's discussion forum (http://novadreamer.com/discus/)


Fascinating thread!

One general point I feel needs to be made is the difference between states and stages. An altered state is by definition a temporary experience, whereas stages of development are essentially permanent acquisitions. For example, there is a stage of spiritual development in which people feel a sense of oneness with all phenomena that arise (I believe this is sometimes referred to as "nature mysticism", and I've had that experience a few times.) Someone could have a temporary state in which they could perceive that way - not that uncommon actually - but to reach a stage of development where you have access to that perception all the time is another matter entirely.

Temporary states can help with spiritual growth by giving you a glimpse of a deeper/higher level of reality, and also by helping you disidentify with the stage in which you are currently embedded. However, in order for permanent stage development to occur, one would need to have an ongoing practice of some sort. I agree with Gordon's statement in his May 22, 2004 post, "spiritual experiences separated from a lifestyle of devoted practice leading up to them may have short-lived effects."

Lucid dreaming seems to me to be a valuable component of a spiritual practice, and it is certainly interesting to note that long-term meditators report an increase in spontaneous lucid dreams.

a.

No comments: