Today I was pondering reincarnation and dreams. When I dream, I may have a "recurring" character - something representing an ongoing theme in my life, some issue or karma that I am working out over time. I go to sleep, I dream, the character sometimes arises, does its thing, then fades back into nothingness. Is it the same character each time? It could change in small or big ways with each appearence, but has enough continuity for me to recognize it as the same character. However, it is not really the SAME - it is not some solid, unchanging thing. It arises out of my mind and disolves back into my mind, over and over again. Similarly, I arise in the kosmic mind, and when I die, I will dissolve back into it. Later, "I" may arise again - the "same" character, working out whatever issues or karma are unresolved. Yet it won't necessarily be me in any way that implies solidity or continuity in the way we picture a soul going from body to body. In fact, this arising and falling back is supposedly happening a billion times a second, and it certainly happens each night when I go to sleep and wake up again in the morning.
This seems like an interesting and useful way to think about the issue of reincarnation.
Wednesday, October 27, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment