I went to see What the Bleep Do We Know this evening, and I wanted to love it, and I tried really hard to like it - but ultimately I was disappointed.
First, the things I liked about it. The animation was cute and some of the visuals were pleasing. The connections drawn between the physical reality and consciousness were sometimes quite interesting (even though I've heard it all before), particularly the ways in which habitual thoughts and feelings cause structural changes in interneuronal connections and cellular structures which then reinforce the very same tendencies: e.g. if you practice being angry, you will become structurally more predisposed to anger over time, ditto for lust, joy etc. That was very vividly illustrated, and in my opinion the best part of the movie, particularly a sequence showing the main character becoming aware of her pattern of self-hatred and transforming it into a pattern of self-love and care. That was wonderful to see (that she implicitly realized she did not need a man to feel that way was also cool).
The movie also had a number of quotes and visual illustrations serving to remind one of how wild and wonderful the kosmos really is, how weird this existence is despite how we take it all for granted. In this vein I liked, for example, the parts about how matter is for the most part empty space, and how the quantum particles that make everything up are continuously popping in and out of existence, according to quantum theory.
Now for what I didn't like about it. The movie was full of lots of mystical quantum babble that reminded me of arguments that go something like: well, quantum mechanics has lots of weird stuff that reminds me of all this other weird stuff that I like to believe, therefore my weird beliefs are true and science proves it! Wow, man. Far out. We all create our own realities, blah blah blah. I think there is a grain of truth in this, but after reading the book Quantum Questions years ago I no longer believe that quantum mechanics supports mysticism directly. Here's a quote from a recent talk Wilber did on materialism on the website www.integralnaked.org:
I did a book called Quantum Questions which was an anthology of the great founders of quantum physics – all fourteen of whom were mystics. Fourteen out of fourteen! The common belief was sort of the Fritjof Capra belief, which is the tao of physics, that they are both talking about the same thing. Fourteen out of fourteen said that quantum physics in no way supported mysticism. Period. Fourteen out of fourteen. And they're right, they're absolutely right; but they had different reasons for being mystics, and that was they took the anomalies seriously. They said physics doesn't cover all of reality and they pushed so far into physics they knew it didn't. So it wasn't that physics and mysticism were doing the same thing. And so because of that they let go of physics, they became meta-physics or metaphysicians – and it was really wild to see all fourteen of them saying that same thing.
I think what quantum mechanics and other bizarre modern theories do is point out how weird and dreamlike the underpinnings of reality are - and that sort of points you in a certain direction, or gives you a justification for questioning the materialist view of reality. But if you want to get into that spiritual dimension or reality you are going beyond physics into metaphysics.
OK, back to the movie. I also felt troubled by an implication of moral relativism in the movie - one person said something to the effect that "there is no good or bad, there is only what helps you evolve or blocks your evolution." Again, I see a grain of truth there, but if something that helps me evolve causes suffering to someone else, or blocks their growth, well as far as I'm concerned that is bad. Along these lines the movie was bashing traditionalist religious belief - not too difficult to do these days, with a bunch of crazy fundamentalists running around (some of them in the white house) - but this is a simplistic view. The same man I just quoted parodied the tradionalist view of religion and then called it blasphemous. Instead, we are to believe that we are all gods and create our own reality.
I have two problems with that. First, it alienates the traditionalists, which is not helpful. That sort of traditional worldview is a necessary stage of the evolution of consciousness (as Beck and Cowen make clear in their wonderful book Spiral Dynamics) Secondly, the view "we are all gods who create our own reality" is partial at best. In my opinion it puts way too much emphasis on the individual, and not enough on the ongoing act of co-creation which involves the entire kosmos. Formulated in this way, that sort of New Age "we are gods" doctrine elevates the narcissistic ego to godhood, rather than going beyond ego which is what we really need. With all the incredible challenges the world is experiencing today, we need more than people thinking positive thoughts.
For people who are acquainted with spiral dynamics and integral theory I would say this about the movie: I think it is coming from an unhealthy green meme (Boomeritis) perspective in a way that will alienate blue and orange; it is not integral and would not help anyone move up the spiral - in fact I think it would help keep people stuck at green.
Also, a note on the word kosmos. "kosmos" is to be contrasted with "cosmos", which refers to the entire physical universe. "kosmos" includes that and also the interior dimensions of reality, i.e. individual consciousness and shared culture. This term was created by Ken Wilber.
Saturday, October 09, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You have a way with words my friend. I enjoyed this post very much. I haven't seen What the Bleep yet, but I plan to when I get settled again. I can relate to the part of the film where they cover "the habitual thoughts and feelings cause structural changes in interneuronal connections and cellular structures which then reinforce the very same tendencies" subject.
I think some of the body pain I was and am dealing with are left over from so many years of walking around pissed off and protective. I am trying to pound out some nuances in my head about victim hood. Some of the posts at IN are triggering emotions in me lately. I am trying to look beyond my knee jerk reactions to see the deeper truth. The subject matter is mainly male/female issues. I hear one man posting from what feels like a space of minimizing what women endure while overly glorifying the pain that men cope with. I’m sure men who are victimized feel that women get all the attention too, so I do see both sides. So I am looking at the word victim. How do we honor someone when they are truly a victim, say of a crime or a tragedy, but not nurse that shot lived reality into a possible life long identification as a victim. Hmmm...sorry to hash this here...I'll sort through it in my own blog and get back to you.
Thanks for the inspiration & the movie review.
love ya,
~leela
Hi leela, you raise some complex issues. I know what thread you're referring to, I decided early on I don't have the energy/attention right now to engage in that thread (or is that a copout?) The whole victim mentality thing is a difficult issue. We don't want to deny that victimization occurs, but at the same time it seems most unfortunate to get stuck in that mode. The answer probably has something to do with raising your consciousness to a perspective that transcends (and includes) the perpetrator/victim dance. Perhaps for a victim it involves fully processing that role and then moving beyond it. I don't have the answers; but I do feel that playing "who is the bigger victim" or "who is the REAL victim" games are not very productive. Yes it sucks to be a woman, yes it sucks to be a man. Let's get past this, look at the issues that exist for both sexes and how we can begin to resolve them.
In the past I went through a stage where I had a lot of self-loathing as a male, but fortunately I (mostly) got past that. I also went through the victim stage: men are at least as victimized as women, women have it so much better in many ways, blah blah. I see some validity in both stances but I now see both as being very partial and distorted.
However, right now I'm not so interested in such "global" issues, I'm more concerned with healing my psychosexual line of development to the point where I could actually get into a sexually intimate relationship - then I'll start to work with such issues in a more juicy embodied sort of way. Until then I feel like my perspective is not grounded enough.
I had much the same reaction to the film. I still enjoyed seeing it and particularly liked the ending where the directors said they didn't agree with all the interviewees but that that the point is to think for yourself.
Ah, yes, the "you create your own reality" meme, a very prevalent green meme - seemed to be the core message. I can't imagine how a blue or orange would be dragged to this film though.
(BTW, just stumbled onto your site on a technorati search on SD. My blog is at http://evelynrodriguez.typepad.com)
Post a Comment