A book I've been reading on the subject of Syndrome X (related to insulin resistance, though I don't have the syndrome at this point) details the differences in our modern diet compared to the way humans ate during most of our evolutionary history - often referred to as the Paleolithic diet - and makes the case that we are adopted to eat certain types of food, with significant deviations from that model imperiling our health and well-being. It is amazing to look at how our diet has changed, and how quickly.
Looking at the pace of change in the human diet, 100,000 generations of people were hunter-gatherers, 500 generations have been agriculturists, only 10 generations have lived since the start of the industrial age, and only 2 or 3 generations have existed since the advent of highly processed and artificial foods. Our bodies are designed for the foods eaten by our Paleolithic ancestors, not for the types of convenient, processed foods most people eat today. (Syndrome X by Jack Challem, Burton Berkson, and Melissa Diane Smith, p. 75.)I find the following quote quite funny:
About 2,000 years ago, people began using grinding stones to make whole-grain flours. Before machine technology was developed during the Industrial Revolution in the 1800's, however, only royalty and the rich ate nutrient- and fiber-stripped white flour because it was very labor intensive and costly to produce. As a result, obesity and degenerative diseases such as heart disease and adult-onset diabetes - consequences of Syndrome X - often afflicted mainly the royalty and the wealthy. (Syndrome X, p. 66)Now, with modern technology, everyone is free to get these degenerative diseases! :) A movie that makes a similar case is the recent Supersize Me, which I highly recommend. It is an entertaining and horrifying look at the effects of eating nothing but McDonald's food for 30 days. In some ways modern society is so wacked. I'm glad that this information is out there, and in the long term I'm optimistic that we will return some of these crazy situations to some sort of healthy balance. At least, I hope so; and at the very least I can do something about my own situation.
1 comment:
-many thanks for Your superb blog!
-the A-Z on Dairy may be found at:
www.notmilk.com
Namaste,
dar dobs
'i'm not a complete idiiot,
some parts are missing.'
Post a Comment