And then I won't be.
I just finished reading a great Young Adult novel by Francesca Lia Block called Wasteland - I highly recommend it, or anything else she's written. Block has such a poetic way of writing, and she really gets inside the skin of her troubled, alienated teenage characters. I've read several of her books, and there is always something there that I can resonate with - in this novel it is the suicide of someone you love and with whom you have too intense a relationship. Given the kind of themes she deals with, and the frank way she depicts difficult teenage situations, her work must be controversial; but how I wish there had been books like hers around when I was growing up.
You were just a boy on a bed in a room, like a kaleidoscope is a tube full of bits of broken glass. But the way I saw you was pieces refracting the light, shifting into an infinite universe of flowers and rainbows and insects and planets, magical dividing cells, pictures no one else knew...
a.
No comments:
Post a Comment