Recently I have been given a chance to get an inexpensive introduction to the Alexander Technique. I believe classes normally cost about $100/hr but since I am doing four sessions with a senior student for $15/session. The Alexander Technique is designed to facilitate bodymind integration (making it a centaur therapy of choice). In my first session yesterday, the teacher/therapist asked me some general questions (e.g. if I have any pain or chronic conditions), then had me walk around the room so she could observe my usual movement patterns. Then she had me do a number of mundane activities such as sitting in a chair, but with her giving me step-by-step instructions and guiding my movements. She also had me lie on my back for quite a while during which she manipulated my limbs - I was instructed not to help her but to let her move my limbs around, while she gave me instructions such as "Feel your back lengthening from your tailbone to your neck."
It sounds simple but I could tell that it is a profound and effective technique. Afterward my body felt much looser, and I was aware of my movements in a different way. I felt a sense of having more interior space, if that makes sense. Early this morning I woke up and as I lay there half awake, I became aware of how my entire body felt contracted - so I used my attention to consciously lengthen and broaden my back the way the teacher had instructed, and I could feel the difference quite strongly.
During the session and immediately afterward, I could feel my body saying to me: thank you for paying attention to me! you've been neglecting me lately! and feeling quite happy and fulfilled. I have been practicing yoga for a couple of years but stopped abruptly in August for reasons which are not entirely clear. Another reaction I had during the session: although it was difficult, it felt really good to relinquish control and let someone else manipulate my limbs. (Makes me wonder if I'd like totally giving up control in other contexts. Hmm. OK, file this thought away for later.)
This seems like a technique I could derive a lot of benefit from, however given the expense of regular classes I doubt I will pursue it after the four sessions are over; however it is great to get a taste of it and perhaps if I go back to yoga or go on to another technique, I may still do Alexander sessions occasionally.
More information available at http://www.alexandertechnique.com/.
Tuesday, November 09, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Post a Comment