Various judgements and doubts arose in my mind; however, as time went on she really started to grow on me. Her total calm and stillness and the way she answered people's questions lead me to suspect that she is in touch with something that I'm not, at least not very often. Afterward I felt much calmer, more accepting. I liked it enough to go back the following night (she was here for two nights in a row, and later will be doing a workshop locally) and the second time I was more in tune with her, and felt even calmer afterward.
Despite the fact that I have great anxiety about speaking in public, finally I asked her a question in the second session. "Neelam, how do you balance being with doing?" I explained that in meditation I have moments of being at peace with everything that is arising, but that in going into the world I am distracted and totally lose that. Even in meditation such moments are rare. Her short answer would be: get in touch with the stillness, then bring that out into the world; don't make meditation something separate from the rest of your life, but make life your meditation as much as you can. "So you would become more engaged with the world?" I asked, and she replied, "If that's what is natural for you." All in all we spoke back and forth for about five minutes, an interesting process - and yet, it did not feel much different from having an ordinary conversation with a regular person. What was most interesting was when we stopped speaking, and she sat gazing calmly and expressionlessly at me for several minutes. That became really intimidating very quickly - a lot of uncomfortable emotions coming up for me, such as judgement of myself and then of her (i.e. projection), anger, shame etc. She didn't seem to be projecting anything - just looking. Everything that came up felt like it was completely MY stuff.
I would love to see Neelam again in the future, and now I am even more interested in seeing Gangaji sometime if I get the chance. A man from the same tradition named Nirmala, who was taught by Neelam, is coming in February, and I plan to check that out. The story of his awakening is fascinating:
Then there was a wonderful moment when "me" included not only infinity in terms of space but "popped" to include all time. It was obviously who I had always been, and it included all the past and all the future. Then I laughed and laughed and rolled around in the gravel because it was suddenly so silly that I had imagined myself to have suffered. I had always been so free that I was even free to have this illusion of not being free. That’s how complete the freedom is. So I just laughed and laughed.
I sometimes call this experience a non-awakening because what I realized in that moment is that all there is and ever has been is Awakeness. There’s no need for awakening in Awakeness itself. All of life is just the play of this that has always been fully awake.
I love that line "I had always been so free that I was even free to have this illusion of not being free."
2 comments:
Hi Adastra,
I just want to let you know, that I really like your blog. Keep these posts coming!
Love,
Kojan
Thanks, Kojan. :) It is always lovely to hear that someone is interested in what I have to say. I will try to post more freguently.
love and light,
arthur
Post a Comment